An eBook is a downloadable, electronic file which can include digital text, hyperlinks, images, embedded audio and embedded video. Enhanced or multimedia eBooks can be “aggregated documents” including media elements created and saved earlier.
- Create an outline / table of contents.
- Save text files and organize by chapter. Use web-safe file names avoiding spaces, special characters, etc.
- Save images, audio and video files to be embedded in separate folders using web-safe filenames.
- Assemble these pieces into a single file using eBook software.
- Export to ePUB format.
- Upload the file to a web server.
- Link the eBook file to a webpage.
- Book Creator (iPad only, $)
- Little Story Maker (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, free – can create highlighted audio text)
- Story Creator Pro (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, $2)
- Creative Book Builder (iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch, $)
- Scribble Press (iPad only – no audio recording, $)
- Scribble My Story (iPad, $)
Laptop / Desktop computer:
- Calibre (Mac / PC)
- Scrivner (Mac / PC)
- Adobe InDesign (Mac / PC)
- Apple Pages software (Mac only)
- iBooks Author (Mac only)
Browser-based Book Creation Tools
STUDENT & TEACHER-CREATED EBOOK EXAMPLES
- Our Batak House by Yogi Nainggolan (enhanced ePUB with text, images & audio – read more)
- Our Favorite Books (enhanced eBook in 4 formats – backstory here and here)
- Mr Smith’s Class eBooks (created with iBooks Author via @theipodteacher)
- The Case of the Missing Laptop by Faith Paramore (created with iBooks Author via Tammy Gilley, Buhler, Kansas)
- Snowflake Gets Lost (2nd graders – enhanced ePUB with text, images & audio)
- 2nd Grade Winter eBooks (via Karen Bosch)
- 5th Grade Idiom eBooks (created by Sue Hooge’s students using Book Creator, Yukon, Oklahoma)
- eBooks with audio examples on share.playingwithmedia.com
- eBooks Sandbox (a place to share eBook experiments)
- Playing with Media: simple ideas for powerful sharing
FAVORITE FREE EBOOK EXAMPLES
FAVORITE COMMERCIAL ENHANCED EBOOK EXAMPLES
- The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore ($5, iOS)
- Our Choice by Al Gore ($5, iOS)
- Van Gogh: Painted with Words ($1, iOS)
More eBook and enhanced / multimedia eBook resources are available on:
- Wesley Fryer‘s wiki, “Creating Multimedia eBooks”
- Jeremy Brueck‘s wiki, “Getting Started with Student and Teacher Created eBooks”
TOOLS FOR READING EBOOKS
- Subtext (free, for iOS only – have conversations IN your eBooks)
- EPUBReader (free plug-in for FireFox, Chrome & Internet Explorer)
- Readium Plug-in for Chrome (free)
- iBooks for iOS (free)
- Adobe Digital Editions (free, Windows & Mac)
- Kindle Reading Apps (free, Amazon eBooks only, for iOS, Windows & Mac)
- Kindle Cloud Reader (free, Amazon eBooks only)
- Nook eReader (free, Windows, iOS, Android)
- Microsoft Reader (free, Windows only)
- Calibre (free, Windows & Mac)
- More eBook help (with software and transferring) is available on the eBook Help page of Moving at the Speed of Creativity